The purpose of the Academy Global Education Certificate is to prepare our students to be college ready and globally competent. Exposing our scholars to global issues and other cultures is a gateway to college, graduation, and leadership, particularly for minority and low income youth.
Profile of an Academy Global Education Certificate Graduate
- complete a college prep, globally focused course of study
- achieve expertise by researching, understanding, and developing new knowledge about a world culture or an internationally relevant issue
- apply math, science, geography, history, arts, and literature in analyzing in interpreting contemporary world issues
- use digital media and technology to access and evaluate information from around the world and effectively communicate, synthesize, and create new knowledge
- collaborate with individuals from different cultural backgrounds and seek out opportunities for intercultural teamwork
- accept responsibilities of global citizenship and make ethical decisions and choices that contribute to the development of a more just, peaceful, and sustainable world
Do a Global Education Capstone Experience!
- US Diplomacy Center
- Students for Global Responsibility
- Model UN
- One Blair
- Student Conservation Association - Are you a high school student who is passionate about conservation? Do you like working as part of a team to get things done? Do you just love being outdoors? Join an SCA Crew and plug yourself into SCA’s nationwide network of young conservationists – thousands of students who are as passionate as you are about preserving wildlands, protecting nature in urban areas, and keeping the planet green.
- LearnServe - Imagine a new generation of young leaders standing up for — and taking action on — the issues that matter to them most. We identify high school and middle school students with the passion to make a difference and equip them with the knowledge, business tools, and relationships they need to transform their schools and communities — and themselves.
- Travel Abroad
- Language Immersion
- Cultural Learning Experience
- Analysis of a Global Issue - see the UN Sustainable Development Goals for ideas
- Have another idea? Come see Ms. Blaha in Rm 342 to talk about it!
- Completion of an approved Capstone experience.
- Completion of a Global Issues Action Plan. This can be done in partnership with other students. This Action Plan answers the question: "How does your community involvement affect the world?" (Example: Travel to the rainforest in Costa Rica and discuss the impact of deforestation on the local and global economy and connect this to your local community at home.)
- A 3.0 GPA in at least three Global Education Electives. These include classes in World Language, Science, Social Studies, and Media. See Ms. Blaha for a complete list of eligible electives.